How Scrum Can Make You An Awesome Software Engineer
Interview with Joshua Partogi
19:00 Introduction: Peter ❤ Acceleration of Learning.
25:00 Does Scrum make you a worse Software Engineer?
26:30 How does an awesome Software Engineer look like?
30:20 Awesome Engineers focus on the bigger picture.
31:40 Awesome Engineer VS Professional Engineer
38:30 Learning in 5 areas
42:00 Why would people have the perspective “Scrum is making us worse”?
50:44 Kanban & Scrum have 1 thing in common
59:45 Why we move away from Story Points
1:03:40 My experience with Mob Programming and Katas
1:11:00 If its hard, do it more often
1:14:00 What is the difference between knowledge work and simple work?
1:19:00 Mob Programming -> Pair Programming to the max
1:32:10 Why attend the APS-SD? https://scrum.org/aps-sd
THE HUMAN SIDE OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING.
https://kerry.lothrop.de/devtalk-72-peter-gfader/ August 2021
WITH PETER GFADER
Here I talk with Kerry Lothrop about the following topics:
- 1:45 Why do companies call you?
- 3:45 How do you recognize these problems? what do you do to solve the company problems?
- 7:00 Do people see and know about these problems themselves?
- 8:05 My “I know you from Stack Overflow” moment
- 9:10 Are people willing to change? Do they want change?
- 12:30 How much are people involved? Are these really social people issues?
- 15:10 One person as the main cause in the team? Effects of hero hackers? What do you do?
- 18:20 Is this part of your job? Get managers ready for Agile?
- 20:20 Should we focus less on technology in job interviews?
- 22:30 How can we learn faster?
- 23:45 How do you check up on the companies later?
- 25:10 Is there the need to have someone permanently like you?
- 27:00 What else should the Scrum Master bring?
- 29:50 What should people do when they see problems in their teams?
- 31:45 I exposed myself us a Java guy… .NET 5, .NETcore all dead 🙂
In this session we answered the following:
- Minute 3:50 – Why is pair programming so hard?
- Minute 11:00 – What techniques can you recommend to make Backlog refinements more interactive and effective?
- Minute 19:00 – How do you handle errors from Production during a Sprint
- Minute 25:00 – How do you measure the team? State/mood/Happiness? Improve the team’s working?
- Minute 31:00 – #NoEstimates what do you think about? Would the project outcome better / same if no estimation?
- Minute 41:00 – How do you balance workload between team members to achieve Goals? Is that the job of a Scrum Master?
- Minute 46:00 – How do you coach teams to see the Scrum events as valuable sessions of work?
- Minute 50:20 – What techniques help if the organization is reluctant to adopt Scrum? How to enable/embrace/change?
Ask a Professional Scrum Trainer with Peter Gfader – Architecture, Code in Teams, Scrum with DevOps and more
A lot of my experience is collected in the 5 interviews on the Scrum Master Toolbox in June 2017:
- Not seeing the full picture.
- Being a “Team Mom” and not changing the Organisation.
* on the dangers with remote teams (old story from Australia)
We talk about conscious and unconscious Technical debt, which is collected here
Wednesday podcast about:
* advantages of 1-week sprints
* story points weirdness
And #Noestimates without mentioning it.
How do you know you are successful as a Scrum Master?
* Visualization as a Systems Thinking Tool
* Get out of your cubicle and pair-work
* Pair consulting/coaching as a good practice